Nerf HQ Forumsrandom
 Home Help Search gallery Login Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 23, 2014, 04:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Hide/Unhide
Nerf HQ Forums  |  General Forums  |  Modifications (Moderators: Lefty, BrokenSVT)  |  Topic: Nitemav Version:2 with write up
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Nitemav Version:2 with write up  (Read 36359 times)
post Apr 26, 2006, 06:00 PM
Carrtoon

Private Message
Ok, I wanted to see if I could build another nitemav and help others to build one. Not just to see pictures, but be able to build one based on the write up. I take no credit for this mod. Others have come up with the concepts and I thank them for that. One other thing before I start. You will NEED a dremel tool for this. Do not attempt this without one!

Materials

1/2'' cpvc
Dremel
Hot glue gun
Loctite superglue
Maverick
Mini philips screwdriver
Nitefinder
O-rings or craft foam

First, take the Maverick apart. The internals will look like this:

Next, the basic turret mod will be done. Take the yellow turret and take out the three screws on each end. Now, pry off the gray piece on the front turret by taking a screwdriver and placing it inbetween the yellow turret and the gray piece. Lift up on the screwdriver until the gray piece, rod included, come off. When it comes apart, the turret looks like this (the front end with the rod is not shown):

After that, I take the bottom piece of the turret (shown on the left in the picture above) and dremel off the cylindrical nubs that stick up (shown in the picture below.) This doesn't have to be done, but it will give you a perfect seal, something that the other way won't guarantee. Next, pull apart the rest of the turret. There will be a main body and a piece that fits inside it with 6 barrels coming out of it. Cut off the barrels like so:

This is where you will need the cpvc. Depending on how you are modding the turret, you will need different length cpvc. Mess with the lengths but be sure to get the right one. Cut 6 barrels to this length. Press the cpvc into the top part of the turret (the yellow piece that you cut the yellow barrels off of) until they are flush with the top:

Then push the two main pieces of the turret back together. This is shown in the top part of the picture below:

Then hot glue the ends of the exposed cpvc. Don't be conservative with the glue. Press the back end of the turret on quickly so the glue doesn't dry. Screw the screws back in and put the turret back together:

Ah, the turret is done! For the next step you will need the Maverick plunger that is inside of the cylinder. Cut off the top part of the plunger like this:

Now you need to open the Nitefinder. The internals should look like this:

Note also that you only need the 4 pieces in the upper right corner of the picture: the plunger, the cylinder, and the other two orange pieces. Take the cylinder and cut off or dremel off the two side tabs:

Now you need to dremel out the center of the orange pieces. Start by dremeling out the one without the air restrictor. For the next step you will need that piece and the two pictured with it:

For this step you will need the loctite. Also, this is where it gets wordy from now on. The pics will explain better, but I'll try to explain it to the best of my ability! Take the orange piece that you dremeled out in the previous step and flip it over so the middle cylinder is lower than the outside of the cylinder. The Maverick plunger piece will drop right into it. Before placing the plunger end on the dremeled piece, you need to put loctite on the rim of the inside cylinder. You may also want to load up with hot glue to make sure you have no air loss. I hope the picture below will explain it better than I tried to! The finished product looks like this:

Snap off the little nub on the outside of this finished piece. Now, take the orange piece with the restrictor rod sticking out of it and dremel the center of it out. Now take the Nitefinder cylinder and Loctite the rim. Take the newly dremeled piece and press it on the cylinder for at least 1 minute. It should look like this:(note there are two restrictor pieces in the picture. One is dremeled out and the other isn't.)

Then you can replace the spring and increase the seal on the Nitefinder plunger if you choose. When you have done this, take off the plunger head and the spring. Put the remaining plunger piece through the dremeled out orange piece. Then place the spring inside the cylinder on the plunger rod and screw the plunger head back on. Now you will need to loctite the outside of the other orange piece (the one with the end of the Maverick plunger loctited in.) Press that piece into the other end of the Nitefinder cylinder, encasing the Nitefinder plunger inside of the cylinder. It should be flush with the rim of the cylinder. This is the finished product:

Now you will need to improvise. This is the toughest part. Getting everything to fit. You need to gut out the Maverick shell so the Nitefinder cylinder will fit. It's trial and error and you will need to spend some time on this step. Ask any questions you like. I won't speak of every detail right here because it would take pages. Hopefully this pic will help some:

The final step is getting the turret to seal properly. Some do this with o-rings, but I find that craft foam works the best. I cut the craft foam off of the fin of one of my BBB arrows like this:

Now form it to fit the mouth of the plunger like this:

Loctite or hot glue it to the mouth:

Now, your turret may fit two tight. This can be fixed by pressing the foam down and rotating the turret a few hundred times. This also takes a while, so be patient. Good guns come to those who wait! The finished product and a video:

http://media.putfile.com/NM-V2

Good luck and enjoy!

LEEERRRRROOOOOOYYYY JEEEEEEENNNNNKKKKKKIIIIIINNNNNSSSSSSSS!!
post Apr 26, 2006, 06:52 PM
DaveNelz
Let me be the first to say...

very nice work, i liked the seal idea too, I'm sure that will help the li'l guys out there.
Good stuff man, good stuff.
post Apr 26, 2006, 06:56 PM
n-struck

Private Message iamjoeyscrnname
This is very nice. What did you use to make the catch ramp.

Yeah... nerf is pretty neat.
post Apr 26, 2006, 07:05 PM
Carrtoon

Private Message
Thanks guys. Writing this dang thing up took longer than making the gun, and it left out the whole gutting process! The catch ramp was actually made with one of the tabs from the gutted interior. I have a buzz saw-like bit that gave me a long flat plastic piece. Any small, skinny object should work. It's just glued into place.

post Apr 26, 2006, 07:28 PM
n-struck

Private Message iamjoeyscrnname
I'm very impressed it look like it work very well. What sort of ranges did it get. I remember hearing something along the lines of 65-70'.

Yeah... nerf is pretty neat.
post Apr 26, 2006, 11:19 PM

Private Message Animakitty
Best Nerf mod writeup I've seen yet.  Nice big pictures of each step, with clear nicely spelled directions.  

If a Nerfer can't make a NiteMav with this reference at their disposal, they shouldn't be modding.  :K)

"...if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."
- Firefly
post Apr 27, 2006, 03:38 AM
HAPPYGILMORE

Private Message
This is way off topic, but do you have that BBB mod write up yet cartoon? I dont mean to sound like a pesky noob (which I kind of am) your not repling to PMs.

Quote from: a7x4life
It was blue, floppy, and about 4 inches in diameter.

I once knew this guy named harry johnson.....really......
post Apr 27, 2006, 04:14 AM
Carrtoon

Private Message
Hehe. Thanks again.

HAPPY, write ups take a lot of time. The BBB is in the past and I've been working hard on other mods. I know it has been some time since you've asked and you must be patient. I took pics a while ago that should be pretty self-explanitory. Also, it's hard to make a write up when you already have the gun completed. I'll PM you with some tips, but I have already taken some decent pics to look at. Thanks for being patient...

post Apr 27, 2006, 05:37 AM
Administrator

"DAMN" - It'll make your bladder beg for mercy.

Private Message JSkater17@hotmail.com JSktr17
Hot damn, nice job! I might go pick up a NF today when I'm in Salem just for this, because I've got a Mav that shoots like crap.

Again, great job.

"gamefreakisback: I'm like, sitting all funny, and my ass hurts, haha."
post Apr 27, 2006, 11:29 AM
NinjZ

Private Message
Carrtoon wins the best newbie award. We need more like you. I just might do this for SJNNO.

I hate 12 year olds.
post Apr 27, 2006, 01:50 PM

Private Message
That is one cool frieken gun!!! very well done, congrats!!!
post Apr 27, 2006, 03:35 PM
KirbySaysHi

Private Message JstThePianoPlaya
Congratulations on a very clean and concise write-up. I just wanted to say that. The best part is... that because you popped a link over on the Haven, I can put it in the directory!

Copy!

Kids in the backseat cause accidents, accidents in the backseat cause kids.
post Apr 28, 2006, 05:49 PM

Private Message DDavidR73
How do you make your CPVC so nice and shiny white? I can never get it like that.

On-topic, good job! I might be attempting this eventually.

TS

Crappy Nerfer - Don't worry... I'll be gentle... Wink

Oohhhh, I get it now. =D  ^^^

Also availiable at NH as Team_Slaya.
post Apr 29, 2006, 08:38 PM
FaShiznor

Private Message bballer8691
What are the ranges?
post Apr 29, 2006, 11:10 PM

Private Message The_real_wetbo
A picture with the plunger tube removed would be nice, it'd help on fitting the plunger in properly. Other wise nice job.

And as everyone knows, money makes the world go round. It's also the root of all evil, therefore the world going round is evil, and we should therefore stop the rotation of the planet.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Nerf HQ Forums  |  General Forums  |  Modifications (Moderators: Lefty, BrokenSVT)  |  Topic: Nitemav Version:2 with write up
Jump to: